Thursday, February 18, 2010

just a small town girl...sometimes i wish...

...especially when it comes to getting something done that you know would be easy as pie if you went to high school with the people to whom you're talking or scouted with their kids. I've found in many cases (not all) that small town folks will engage in conversation with people from larger towns, and although pleasant and kind, they deep down don't like or trust them, but will *gladly* accept their money. In fact, will go after their money. Because they believe outsiders have more of it. IMHO. (Also a classic college town scenario with the students, when the university is one of the top employers in the area.)

Recently got a ticket in a small town on a charge I believe was minimal and ridiculous and should have been negotiable by the state's attorney's office. First one in 20 years. I tried in earnest to contact the state's attorney multiple times for assistance and hopefully some sort of deal to work out the fine, if there was no other choice but to pay. The answer was no, no, NO and "if you want to go to court, you will just pay more in court fees." So the answer is to shut up, write the check, and be on your way, city girl!

But one must remember that any money collected by the city pays the city's salaries so who you think might help you is always motivated by money. And if that money comes from you admitting guilt, whether you like it or not - agree with it or not, then they will never give you an opportunity to prove yourself different or provide other options.

Unfortunately I have had to travel through this town for the last 8 months or so to take care of leftover business from the ending of a relationship. I wish I didn't have to, but will most likely need to for a few months to come at the least.

When I scrape together some money for that ridiculous fine, I am composing a letter to send in to let them know I will no longer travel through this town (I will find a new route), purchase gas in this town, buy food in this town, nor solicit any of the businesses in this town. The fee paid for a ticket no one wants to discuss with me will cost the city far more than the ticket in the long run.

I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears, or go in the same circular file that all the other letters like mine have been placed, but better to voice an opinion than stay silent. At least they'll have something to entertain them while running to the bank with my check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home